If you’re experiencing pain and stiffness in your hip, and the discomfort is more than a mild annoyance, there could be something wrong with your hip joint. And you may benefit from booking in to see a hip specialist.
But how do you know if you need a hip surgeon or not? We’ve put together some signs to look out for when deciding if you need a hip replacement.
Do you experience pain when walking?
The pain you experience may be felt in your groin, radiating to the outside of your hip, and will primarily occur on the down step of the leg. The pain will be most noticeable when you are walking, jogging, or running.
If the below sounds familiar, you will need to book in and see a knee specialist:
- You regularly take painkillers to deal with the pain
- Your pain keeps you awake at night despite the use of pain medications
- Your pain makes it difficult to walk or bend over
- Your pain isn’t relieved by rest during the day or night
- You compensate for your pain with a limp
- You rely on a walking aid to relieve your hip pain
An appointment with a qualified hip surgeon will set your mind at ease.
Do you have a limited range of motion in your hip joint?
Due to the stiffness of the joint, a hip injury or disorder can decrease your range of motion making it difficult or painful to bend at the hip. If you have trouble bending over, putting on clothes, sitting down or standing up, or even climbing up the stairs, you should make an appointment to see a hip specialist. You just might require hip surgery.
Do you struggle to perform the most basic tasks?
How much your injured hip is affecting your life can quite often determine whether you should book in with a hip surgeon. If you struggle with the below everyday task, you should book in to see a hip specialist:
- Putting on your shoes or socks
- Walking normal distances
- Standing on one leg, even with assistance for balance
- Inability to move or bear weight on the affected leg
When you’ve tried alternative treatments, and nothing seems to work
Sometimes you feel like you are throwing your money down the drain. You’re trying treatment after treatment for your hip pain, but nothing seems to relieve the pain. If you’ve tried the following, it might be time to take a trip to your local hip specialist:
- Physical therapy to strengthen and stabilise muscles surrounding the hip joint
- Steroid injections to reduce swelling and block pain signals
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce inflammation in the hip joint, which can relieve pain
- Acupuncture to promote increased blood flow to the injured area to aid healing, relax muscles and reduce inflammation
A hip replacement explained
Hip replacement is a surgery performed by a hip surgeon. The procedure involves replacing damaged hip tissue with artificial implants or prosthetics. The main tissues involved with hip replacement are the ball and socket. As your hip specialist will explain, the ball and stem prosthesis will be implanted first, then your hip surgeon will remove the damaged cartilage from the socket part of the joint.
Are you ready to book in with a hip specialist?
Come in and meet our professional team at Lane J Medical, where we understand that issues that affect the legs, knees, and hips can have an enormous impact on your daily life. And we don’t believe you should suffer in silence. Come in and see us at 121 Newdegate Street, Greenslopes. Or call (07) 3394 4228 and make an appointment with our highly qualified hip specialist. Our entire service range can be found online.